Hello and welcome to my second day of Blogmas! I don’t know about you but Christmas for me is one of the busiest times of year. I love having some many festive things to do but on top of assessment deadlines, student responsibilities and the general Christmasy commitments, it can sometimes be easy to get overwhelmed.
I saw a post on Pinterest recently that listed some ideas for looking after yourself during busy life periods so I thought I would have a go at writing my own list – and what better time to start than at Christmas! I’ve come up with a list of activities to count us down to the big day aimed to promote self care, being kind to others and getting into the festive spirit.
- Go to bed an hour earlier than usual – getting enough sleep is so important and is an easy way to help you feel refreshed and ready to tackle the day ahead.
- Smile at a stranger – not only does the act of smiling sends neural messages to your brain that increase happiness, but it can also make someone else’s day.
- 5 minute dance party – inspired by Meredith from Grey’s Anatomy why not get shake your thang to your favourite song in your bedroom. An instant positive mood maker.
- Take an extra long shower/bath – treat yourself to a long soak with all your best products
- Ten minutes of mindfulness – take a minute to focus on your breathing and what’s going on in the present.
- Send a positive message to a friend – let your loved ones know that they are special to you. Tell them that you hope they have a good day or that you’re grateful for the things they do.
- Take a walk – Fresh air, exercise and a good playlist to clear your head.
- Paint your nails – Choose a festive colour and give your nails a little pamper
- Watch a Christmas movie – if you’re anything like me a good christmas film with a cup of hot chocolate can make the perfect end to a busy day
- Write some Christmas cards – try and make each message personal – no cards with just To/From
- Search for Christmas lights – go on stroll with a partner or a friend to spot some of the Christmas lights and decorations around your neighbourhood
- Shave your legs – sounds like a basic but shaving your legs and moisturising can make you feel sexy and fantastic
- Change your bed sheets – pair this with a fresh pair of pjs and you’re on to a winner
- Tell someone you love them – you know what they say, if you love someone let them know
- Dress in Christmas colours – a fun (and low key) way to incorporate some Christmas spirit into your day
- Sing in the shower – this is honestly one of my favourite ways to boost my mood. Sing your heart out to your favourite tunes.
- Have a phone free day – I know this can be difficult but try and use your phone less and focus on the people in front of you.
- A random act of kindness – anything from holding a door open to paying for someone’s coffee. Kindness can go a long way.
- Look through some old photos – Memories are a great way to help me feel better after a tough day.
- Have a night out – Let of some steam with your pals and dance the night away
- Bake some festive treats – Spend the afternoon baking some yummy goodies by yourself our with your friends.
- Volunteer – give your time this Christmas. I’m going to be volunteering at a senior citizen tea dance!
- Take part in secret santa – organise or participate in a gift exchange with a group of friends or family. You don’t have to spend much money – it’s the thought that counts.
- Wrap your presents – throw on some Christmas music or a movie with your best ribbons and bows at hand. I find this a great way to get excited about Christmas day.
- Donate to a gift aid scheme – give a gift to someone less fortunate than yourself this Christmas.
These don’t have be done in order but I’m looking forward to giving all these a try – I hope you are too!